Public policy issues to be discussed at the first meeting of the IGF - HR as a priority .. ?

Ginger Paque wrote:
> Thank you for this very important posting, Meryam.
>
> I agree that option two is the one we need to follow, and would like to
> second the continuance of Meryam and Rikki as co-coordinators if they
> are willing to do so.
>
> As always, I would like to point out the importance of the right to vote
> in supporting all of our rights, particularly in the Information
> Society.  One of my suggestions at the recent conference in Denmark was
> that the HR caucus get more involved in this issue.  I am including a
> copy of my presentation at the end of this email, (in English and then
> in Spanish) in case anyone has any suggestions for me, or is involved in
> any activities which can include this issue.
>
> Thanks to all, especially Meryam and Rikke.
> Ginger

Ginger:

I'd like to encourage you and the HR caucus as a whole to submit a
statement to IGF secretariat to make sure that Human Rights related
issues be discussed at the first meeting of the IGF.

The deadline (March 31) and details are below.

regards

Robert

http://www.intgovforum.org/

Follow-up to the Consultations on the convening of the IGF

Consultations on the convening of the IGF were held in Geneva on 16 - 17
February 2006. About 300 participants representing all stakeholder
groups attended the meeting. The participants addressed a wide variety
of issues, such as the IGF's scope of work and substantive priorities as
well as aspects related to its structure and functioning. The aim of the
consultations was to develop a common understanding among all
stakeholders on the nature and character of the IGF.

While there was an emerging convergence of views on some aspects related
to the IGF, there were some open questions that needed further
discussion. Mr. Nitin Desai, the Secretary-General's Special Adviser for
the World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS) who chaired the
meeting, invited participants to reflect on the following questions:

- Whether there is a need for a multistakeholder group to prepare for
the meeting.
- Which public policy issues the first meeting of the IGF should address.

All stakeholders are invited to submit their views on these questions.

Please let us know what your views are on:

a) The need for a multistakeholder group to assist the the
Secretary-General in convening the IGF, what the mandate of this group
should be and how it should be formed.
Please submit your comments by 28 February 2006.

b) Public policy issues to be discussed at the first meeting of the IGF.
Please let us know your top three choices and give a short explanation
on the reasons for your choices by 31 March 2006.