Fra: Meryem Marzouki [mailto:marzouki@ras.eu.org]
Sendt: sø 16-04-2006 23:57
Til: hr-wsis@iris.sgdg.org
Emne: [hr-wsis] Re: SV:  General motivation to send nominees to the IGF

Hi Rikke and all,

Le 16 avr. 06 à 16:08, Rikke Frank Joergensen a écrit :

> re. your concerns below, I would propose that we turn them into
> some concrete recommendations, i.e.

Of course I agree to make concrete recommendations. But it's not only
a question on how to present things. During the IGF consultation
meeting of February, the question of setting up a "bureau" to prepare
IGF meetings (and most of IGF activities, in fact) was discussed.

Almost all CS people spoke against a "bureau" like during WSIS
phases, and rather in favor of a lighter structure, both in terms of
amount of members and in terms of capacity. This was to avoid, among
others, the issue of "representativity", and, I assume, based on the
bad experience with the WSIS CSB.

Now we have a MAG, which will certainly be a bureau.

First, by its size: about 40 members: we know that governments are
used to ask for 15, i.e. 3 from each 5 UN regions, the rest being CS,
private sector and a new category, following strong lobbying from
ISOC and the like, made up of "members of the academic and technical
communities".

Second, by the fuzziness of its definition. It will "assist him [UN
SG] in this task" and its members will be "representing governments,
private sector and civil society and include members of the academic
and technical communities. The members of the group will be chosen in
their personal capacity."
What does that mean ? Who they are representing, apart from
themselves ? To whom they would be accountable or, at the minimum,
report ? They are supposed to (and would, I assume) act as "experts",
"consultants", etc. They  will certainly do their best, but, as
individuals acting in their own capacity (and "chosen in their
personal capacity"), they are, in the end, representing only
themselves, and accountable to no one. Structures, and specially
public structures, like UN structures, shouldn't facilitate this. The
MAG, with its (lack of) "definition", facilitates and encourages
this. The rest of the MAG will be governments and private sector, who
both know what they want. How CS could have any voice in this if not
a minimum structured ?

As soon as the MAG has been announced, everyone in CS has run for
nomination, without any questioning or even simply discussing what it
means.

It seems that all that we achieved, with difficulty, during 4 years
of WSIS, i.e. (more or less) structuring CS @ WSIS, is now lost or
discarded. 4 years after, CS (whatever it means) has entirely forgot
about any coalition/grouping, and is advancing as individual
organizations in the best case, if not as individuals.

Since we decided to remain in the process _as a caucus_, i.e. as a
more or less structured coalition of organizations (if not
structured, at least sharing common principles and common
objectives), I think we have to firmly raise this issue, to the IGF
as well as to the other components of CS @ WSIS.

If you look at the list of nominees to the IGC nomcom (http://
www.wsis-cs.org/igfnominees.shtml), you will find very few CS @ WSIS
coalitions as nominators: HR caucus, Privacy and Security WG, ACSIS
(African CS). Others are individual NGOs/associations, or projects,
or individual persons. And if the Internet governance caucus may seem
a major CS @ WSIS coalition, since it organizes this nomcom and will
then recommend the chosen persons to the IGF, this is not exactly the
case: if this nomcom has been set up, and if the internet governance
caucus has not made, as a coalition, any substantive contribution,
this is indeed because it has always been difficult to agree on
anything among the internet governance caucus, since no common
principle and no common objective is shared among its members: too
large, too diverse, etc.

Yes, the HR caucus has recommended candidates to the MAG. But this
doesn't prevent to raise the issue I've stated above - if you agree
and share these concerns, of course, both to the IGF and to the other
CS components.

I hope this has helped to clarify my concerns.
Last thing: tomorrow April 17, I'll be almost all day off-line, so I
couldn't draft anything before April 18.
Best,
Meryem